Sunday, April 5, 2015

HOUNDSTOOTH

Being an amateur seamstress, I rely heavily on sewing tutorials on YouTube. I wanted to make a skater skirt, so I followed the instructions of smarmyclothes. I picked up this houndstooth fabric from Unique for $3.99 for 2 yards.

I skipped a couple of her steps, but I did fold the material twice with the folded edges at the top and on the left.


I took a piece of twine and chalk and used it like a protractor to make my rounded hem.
I held the fabric up to my waist to see how long it fell and then cut on a curve for the waistline. I will save that cut piece as a guide for future skirts.



This is what the skirt looks like when you open it. There are no seams. It is one continuous circle.
I measured my waist and cut another piece of fabric for the waistband.

I pinned the waistband around the open circle of the skirt and sewed it together.
I decided later to add a zipper. Zippers are a little trickier. I will do a tutorial in another post.

Here's the finished product.

I decided to make a matching shirt. Doesn't it look like dress? I could attach the top to the bottom, but I want to have the option of wearing the skirt with something else.

#bathroomselfie

No comments:

Post a Comment